Steam Baths and Hair Loss: How To Avoid It
Did you know that taking a hot steam bath can cause hair fall? Well, not just any steam bath but an excessively hot one. If you’re someone who takes steam baths frequently and also spends long hours in them, there’s a chance that they have started causing hair loss.
Also known as the Finnish sauna, this kind of bathing involves sitting in a small room with very high humidity and temperature for around 20 minutes. This can be quite damaging to your hair and scalp.
The high humidity and heat tend to strip away much of your natural oils, leaving your follicles weak and exposed to friction from loose hairs – which can result in hair breakage.
Why Is Steam Bath Bad for Hair?
The high levels of moisture, heat, and humidity in a steam bath can be damaging to your hair. Here are a few reasons why steam baths can cause hair fall:
– Hot water hair treatment is a classic conditioner, but in reality, it can be quite damaging to your hair. Since steam baths are very hot, they can dry out your hair. This may sound counter-intuitive because you would think that hot water would make your hair soft and silky. However, it is the steam that causes this effect, as it dries out your hair by sucking out all the moisture. This can make your hair brittle and prone to breakage.
– A steam bath can cause extreme dryness and dehydration of your hair and scalp. The heat that is released in a steam bath can be extremely dehydrating. This can rob your hair and scalp of much-needed moisture and nutrients. The result is brittle and dry hair that is prone to breakage.
– Steam baths are very harsh on your scalp. They can disrupt the pH levels of your scalp and cause it to be overly dry and flaky. This can lead to dandruff, itchiness, and eventually – hair fall.
– The high levels of humidity in a steam bath can lead to bacterial infections in your hair and scalp. This can result in scalp itchiness, dandruff, and of course – hair fall.
– Steam baths can also damage your hair color, particularly if you are using a chemical-based dye.
How long does a steam bath cause hair to fall?
A steam bath is a very short-duration activity, so the damage it causes to your hair will be limited. However, if you are taking extremely hot steam baths frequently, there are chances that they will cause hair fall. You should be extra careful if you are taking steam baths in the following situations:
– If you have a sensitive scalp or have recently undergone hair coloring.
– If you have fragile or thin hair.
– If you have a lot of existing damage to your hair, like split ends.
– If you have very oily hair. This can increase the likelihood of breakage even more.
– If you are taking extremely hot steam baths for a long duration of time.
What can you do to prevent hair loss from steam baths?
There are a few things that you can do to reduce the risk of hair fall while indulging in a steam bath. Here are a few tips to get the most out of your steam bath experience while keeping your hair safe.
– Schedule your steam bath at the end of your session. This will allow your hair and scalp to cool down properly in between steam baths.
– Avoid over-washing your hair after a steam bath. While you should wash your hair, make sure that you are not overdoing it. Excessive washing can strip away your hair’s natural oils and worsen the damage caused by the steam bath.
– Use a conditioner or nourishing hair mask after washing your hair. This will help to reduce the damage caused by the steam bath and make your hair stronger.
– Make sure that you are using a high-quality shower cap when inside the steam bath. This will prevent loose hair from falling and getting tangled in between other hair strands.
– Invest in a high-quality anti-frizz serum. This will help to reduce the frizziness of your hair and make it less prone to breakage.
– Avoid wearing a towel on your head after a steam bath. Instead, gently pat your hair dry.
Other ways in which steam baths can cause hair loss
Apart from causing hair fall due to damage, steam baths can also lead to other hair-related problems. Here are a few ways in which a steam bath can cause hair loss:
– Excessive heat and humidity in a steam bath can lead to heavy hair loss.
– The high humidity in a steam bath can lead to dandruff and scalp infections.
– The steam in a steam bath can lead to hair breakage, especially if you have very brittle or thin hair.
– Steam baths can also cause hair color to fade if you are using a chemical-based dye.
– The steam from a steam bath can also lead to hair loss if you have a sensitive scalp or severe dandruff.
Steam baths are a great way to relax and unwind, but they can also cause hair fall. However, there are ways in which you can reduce the damage caused by steam baths and still reap their benefits.
If you want to get the most out of your steam bath experience and avoid hair fall, make sure that you take the above points into consideration.
Morten is a technology and software expert, who has been using steam baths for more than 20 years. He loves technology and software, and he's passionate about the benefits of steam bathing.Read more...